Monday, May 21, 2007

??

Is parred down redundant?

And why is incentivize a word? I argue over this one with my husband, but he showed me proof. The freaking dictionary he has has the word in it with a definition too!!!

5 comments:

Johnny Yen said...

To pare is to whittle down-- the right word for your sentence. But I thought that the preterit of it would be "pared."

I would have thought that "parred" was a golf term-- e.g. "He parred the sixth hole."

Cheer34 said...

You are most likely correct regarding pared and parred. I can not spell, and spell check ok'd parred. I wish a dictionary was available along with the spell check on blogspot.com. Thansk for the info.

bubbles said...

But you have a point about the redundancy of pared down, since down is part of the definition of pare. I mean, you can't pare up something, right? But common use is pare down.

I use it with down... but then again, I graduated from the Redundancy School or Redundancy.

bubbles said...

Uh, that's Redundancy School OF Redundancy.

vikkitikkitavi said...

Hey, "boogie down" is also redundant, but it just sounds better that way.