Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Good Food and dollars

I read an article in a local magazine, appropriately named after our city. Rochester Magazine. The magazine is snooty and is FREE to households over a specific annual income. A 6 figure income. I get it FREE because I use to advertise my store in it. The powers to be at the magazine company must not have updated the database as my store has been closed for 6 months.

Moving on......an article in the magazine has made me aware that I have some sense of what good food is all about and how grateful I am to be able to purchase good food. AND how our government has interfered with farming through subsidies ( our tax dollars) which has allowed for a more cost effective production of food but at the expense of our health via inferior nutrition, chemicals reaping destruction on the environment,and mistreatment of animals.

The article went on to point out that BIG is not always better. (Don't we know it now with all that is going on with Wall Street, big banks, big insurance companies etc.) If we shop our local farm markets, participate in community gardens, plant our own back yard gardens, buy locally grown meats and let our politicians know that this is how we want to get our food, we may be able to shift the subsidies from industrialized food production ( high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oils) to sustainable farms that do not use chemicals or inhumane treatment of animals. What a concept! I'm in.

4 comments:

Sans Pantaloons said...

It is the only future that will work.

bubbles said...

You said it, Cheer!

Superwoman said...

We grow our own garden and I can a lot of food, plus we have fruit trees, I love fresh fruits and veggies just picked in our back yard. It's the best.

joe said...

I'm in!