Roosters run free in Key West. While I was walking around Key West I asked several locals why roosters were so prevalent, why the cocky birds were free to roam and if anyone knew the history of how the birds came to be. No one knew. But all of them told me that half the island population loved the birds and the other half did not. A big controversy exists over what to do with the birds. Some want the birds completely removed, some want the birds destroyed, some want the roosters contained in one area, and some want the current free roaming policy to continue. I did not see any hens. If I did I mistook them for roosters.
The white bird on the fence was crowing and strutting on the fence between two houses. No one seemed to mind. At least it was around 9am and not 5am. I think a 5am wake up call from a rooster could be annoying.
Mr. Pelican was sunning himself and then demonstrated how he would eat me if I came to close. Considering he was sitting on a piling out in the water the chances of me getting to close were none. I guess he did not know that.
I have more pictures of doorways to some of the homes around Key West that are really pretty, some of the harbor on the west side of the island, and a few of the beach area of the hotel, but my favorite is a picture I took of a display of merchandise at a boutiques on Duvall Street.
8 comments:
You are such a great photographer. Looks like it was a fun trip. Those roosters are beautiful!
As always, wonderful photos!
This is one of the places I most want to go to. I love the cats that roam around, as well.
Great pictures.
It looks a very relaxing place. Excellent photography! I love the doorways.
Nice cocks. Hee.
Makes me miss the beach. I love the ocean.
My favorite pic is the fruit of the looms.
I envy your travels.
Nice pics, Cheer! Interesting about the roosters. Right now I have two roosters in one pen together waiting to be butchered. When there are no hens the roosters behave like inmates, if you know what I mean. Perhaps this is what the Key West roaming roosters do, as well.
I suppose if a rooster was haning around and crowing at bad times you could have a nice fresh chicken dinner pretty easy!
Nice pics. Same deal on Kauai, btw. Freakin' chickens are everywhere.
Post a Comment